Wednesday, August 19, 2009

G.O.O.D Bag/ 72 hour kit

I made my first 72 hour kit several years ago. I used a plastic tote box (the kind you get at Wal-Mart) and it served its purpose. It was able to hold everything that I wanted. It did have drawbacks though; it would be very difficult to carry it any long distance and it was not very durable.
I have decided to re-do my kits now that my kids are getting old enough to carry their own stuff (at least most of it).
I've been checking around and reading up on what I need to have in my kit. There are several commercial kits like this one:
This kit gives a complete inventory list:
1 - Backpack 1 - 3600 Calorie Mayday Food Bar 1 - Vegetable Lasagna 6 - Pouches of Water 1 - Mayday large Solar Blanket 1 - pair of Work Gloves 1 - Adult Poncho 2 - 12 hour Light sticks 1 - Dynamo FM Radio w/LED Flashlight 2 - Maxi-pads 1 - Clear Solution Hygiene Kit 2 - Pocket Tissue 2 - Wet Naps (3 pack) 1 - Yellow Rope 1 - Spoon/Fork Combo 1 - Blood stopper Trauma Dressing 1 - box of 50 Waterproof Matches 1 - Slow Burn Emergency Candles 1 - Wag Bag Sanitation Kit 2 - Anti-Bacterial Bar Soap 1 - Blue Tarp 1 - Personal Water Filter
_________________
I think this would be a good start- I also plan to include:
A change of clothes (2 changes if room)
Extra boots
Small Bible
Hatchet
Knife
Cash and change
Maps
Collapsable shovel
All of these are easy to carry and easily obtained.
What other items am I overlooking?

4 comments:

Abraham said...

Bug spray, lighters, firesteels, more toilet paper, a metal pot or metal cup that you can hold over a fire to boil water/cook, leatherman tool, toothbrush and toothpaste, razor to shave with, some fishing stuff, compass, more toilet paper, different kinds of plastic bags, headlamp, water purifier tabs in case the filter breaks (and they do break), dental floss, thread, sewing needles, safety pins and a little duct tape.

Abraham

Kiley said...

Great. I'll add that to my list.

Thanks Abraham.

Kiley said...

Backpack
Bug spray
lighters
firesteels
toilet paper/wipes
mess kit
leatherman tool
toothbrush and toothpaste
razor
fishing stuff
compass
different kinds of plastic bags
headlamp
water purifier tabs
dental floss
thread
sewing needles
safety pins
duct tape
Water
Solar Blanket
Work Gloves
Poncho
12 hour Light sticks
Dynamo FM Radio w/LED Flashligh
Maxi-pads
Hygiene Kit
Wet Naps
Rope
Spoon/Fork Combo
Trauma Dressing
Waterproof Matches
Slow Burn Emergency Candles
Anti-Bacterial Bar Soap
Tarp
Personal Water Filter
boots/shoes
Bible
candy/gum
crackers
Power bars
MREs
Hatchet
Knife
Cash and change
Maps
Collapsable shovel
Change of clothing
underwear/socks
flares
can opener
pen/paper
first aid kit
hand sanitizer
small toys/crayons/puzzles

Jimmy (pen name) said...

There is an extensive list available at
http://www.utahpreppers.com/