Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Glenn Beck to have a show on Food Storage

I'm sure most of my readers are familar with Glenn and his TV program on Fox News.  Tomorrow he will be doing a special on Food Storage.  I thought I'd pass that along to my readers.  If you don't get cable (like me), you can watch the entire episode (and older episodes) at http://www.watchglennbeck.com/

FYI, if you are doing gardens (and you all should) now is the time to plant winter rye grass in your garden for green manuring in the spring (turning the grass upside down and letting it decompose).  Also, if you want an early bean crop, it's time to plant broad beans (horse beans).  They will over winter and pop up first thing this spring- they don't climb so don't worry about trellises-  just plant them out 2-3 inches apart in offset rows. 
Now is also the time to turn your compost pile-  keep it moist this winter and let the worms do their thing.  It will be ready this spring. 

I'm strongly considering raising rabbits for food.  I want to build an all-metal cage (for durability and for odor control).  Does anyone here raise rabbits?  Do you compost their urine (absorbed by hay)?  Does that put too much ammonia into the compost?  Help please.

8 comments:

Mayberry said...

It's about time the "devout Mormon" did something like this. Sorry, but Beck's crawfishing on Fema camps, and his hit job on Debra Medina reduced his credibility to zero with me...

Unknown said...

Rabbit poo is one of the best manures there is. One of the great things about it is that you don't have to "do" anything with it. You can use it "as is" without needing to let it compost. It can be put on your plants straight. No need to worry about anything.Gotta love that!

I don't know how I stumbled on your blog but keep up the good work! I am officially a "follower" now.Stop on over at my place when ya get a chance, and say howdy!

Jimmy (pen name) said...

Mayberry, yeah he's not perfect, but I figure the more people "wake up" the better. I think the show was a bust- he talked for maybe 5 min on food storage. And then it was only VERY basic stuff. I guess it was designed for folks with no clue at all. He did mention that he had a year supply and guns. I'm pretty sure the lib blogs are all over that.

Beck is pretty excited about "spooky dude" George Soros right now. Beck may be spot on, but what does it mean to me? Who cares? The supposed shift in his program from warning, to preparing should be interesting. He's got a big following and he's the only voice for conservatism on TV right now- even if you don't agree with how he handles every show.

SciFiChick,
As far as the rabbits go, I'm pressing on with it, but I'm Still researching hutch designs. I understand they can be stinky- I was considering an all metal cage with metal legs (that way the urine won't soak into any wood).

Melinda Foster said...

Of course, most people DON'T have a clue, Jimmy. Their idea of food storage is a Lean Cuisine in the freezer.

SurvivalPrep.net said...

Thanks for the post about food storage. Here's another page with a non-Mormon perspective on food storage:

http://hungrythirstystranger.blogspot.com

gabriel said...

Im grateful for the article post. s128 apk Really thank you! Want more.

jonet said...

very nice post,s12888 i certainly love this web site, keep on it

autospin88 said...

Autospin88 - Situs game slot online terbesar dan terfavorit.

Ada banyak promosi yang sangat menarik dan merchandise keren yang hanya ada di Autospin88.

Autospin88 pasti Autowin..

Klik langsung di sini ya guys SLOT ONLINE AUTOSPIN88