Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Molle pack and more

I just receive a MOLLE II pack that I purchased new on E-bay today.  (pronounced MOLLY).  It didn't come assembled but there was a good youtube video on how to assemble it.  Took about 1.5 hrs though.  I'm impressed with the design and the simplicity of it.  I've done some extensive backpacking and I believe this pack will be as comfortable as any.  I especially like the modular design in that you can add or subtract compartments as needed.  I also picked up the Army sleep system.  I got the patrol bag and the bivy.  The bags were clean and looked to be used VERY little if any.

For anyone who is interested, here is a link to my square foot garden plans.  I did a lot of research to find out what plants are compatible with others and which are not.  Also, many are climbing plants and I decided to add some additional garden space along my fence so that they will have something to climb on.

3 comments:

Keith said...

People are always trying out new packs, and frankly I see little point. I made my knapsack from a haversack, and have been trekking with it for about 20 years now. You do not need a big pack and more equipment, you need less equipment and more skills.
Le Loup.
In my opinion.

Jimmy (pen name) said...

Yes, and I have 3 girls under the age of 8 who cannot carry hardly anything. (they have bags, but they don't hold much.) That means I get to carry all their stuff.

While I can get by with less, why would I if I didn't have to?

I know you take a very minimalist approach to your preparedness- that's fine and great for you. I decided to get a proven pack that's been used by the US army for several years now. It's durable and it works- my time is better spent working at my job earning money than crafting knapsacks out of leather. I do understand that skills are important and I have many and I'm always looking to make more. My equipment compliments my skills.

I see no need to give up the last 150 years of technology in favor of doing things like a frontiersman. I feel I can take the best of what the frontiersman had to offer and add upon it. I am a scout, a former policeman, a former military man, and all around handyman. I am an engineer and can think my way through most problems.

I'm not trying to come across as harsh, but being a frontiersman is not my hobby- I'm am preparing for an economic or societal collapse that may last a generation or only a few years. I do not foresee a return to 17th century life. My backpack will be around much longer than my kids- it's not likely to wear out in our lifetimes (whereas your knapsack may).

Keith said...

Well actually yes it does come across as a little agro. My pack is made of heavy canvas.
The thing is as you said yourself, you are carrying stuff for other people as well, so would you not travel as light as you can?
My point simply is that in a long term wilderness survival situation, you/I do not want to be relying on too much equipment, especially equipment that may not last.

My initial post was not directed at you, I said people are always trying out new packs. I was refering to the many posts on a variety of survival forums. Always looking for a new gadget. My concern is that some of these gadgets will not last the test of time, and then without the knowledge and skills people will be in a fix.