Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Garden report

Here's a photo I took this morning.  My lettuce had a bout of the inch-worms.  These aphids (which turn into moths) nearly destroyed my entire crop of lettuce  (I need to re-seed a few of the spots).  I bought some Sevin dust and after two applications, I think I have em' licked (did find one hiding under a leave this afternoon though).  My potatoes seem to be growing well as are my green beans, peas, cucumbers and squash.  My tomatoes are a little slow out of the starting box, but they look healthy, if not a little on the small side.  For some reason, my peppers are very stunted- not more than a few inches tall.  Also, the greens, spinach and onions aren't doing so well.  Birds have eaten nearly every strawberry (glad I didn't put too much work into those) and only two of my six sunflowers are still alive.  Carrots are doing fine, but the seeds didn't stay in their nice straight rows after a hard rain.  They floated to one corner and are concentrated there.

I mentioned my aphid problem to a friend of mine and she said that she has a secret.  She encourages spiders to live in her garden.  Black widows in particular.  The spiders eat all the would-be garden pests.  Just be careful when you pick your veggies!  This would definitely not work for my family; with 3 little girls who's curiosity and fingers go everywhere.

I've already eaten some lettuce and green beans.  I have a lesson to share- lettuce must be chilled 2 days in the fridge before eating or it will be very bitter.  This is something to keep in mind if you have no way to chill the leaves.

On a side note, I'm considering raising rabbits and placing the rabbit hutch over the compost bin so as to ease the clean up of the poo and pee.  It would be removable, so I could put it over the new bin when the current one fills up.  I'm thinking I need 3 cages.  1 for the buck, 1 for the doe and 1 for the off spring waiting to be processed.  There's a bunch of info on the web about this, I just need to read a little more.  Also, not sure how the family would react to eating bunnies.

No comments: