Friday, December 18, 2009

Survival on the Road

I am heading out on the road to visit family tomorrow morning.  I'm sure many of you will also be out on the roads.  Everyone knows to drive safely and to watch for storms and ice- but, it bears repeating.  What else can you do to survive on the road this winter.  Well, here's what I did to prepare:

  • Arrange for the neighbor (a hwy patrolman) to watch my house and also to collect the mail.  He also agreed to turn up our heat the day before we come home.  I have his phone number and he has mine in case of emergency.
  • Prepare the truck.  I checked the tire pressure, filled the gas tank and checked the fluids (slightly low on antifreeze) and I also put in a piece of cardboard in front of half of the radiator to help the truck to stay warm.  
  • Check the route (I know where I'm going, but I like to have alternates) and pack a road map and GPS.
  • Pack preparedness items (this is my bugout tote)- complete with several firearms
  • Pack tool set- I have several tool kits depending on the situation- this is an extended trip so I packed my big tool box including my 1/2"cordless impact wrench and volt-ohm meter.
  • Check standard items (jumper cables, flashlights, flares, fire extinguisher, tire jack)
  • Pack tire chains (for snow and ice) 
  • Pack tow ropes/chains
  • Pack extra food and water
  • Remember to bring some cash in addition to credit cards
  • Finally, with all that I loaded up our suit cases which have plenty of clothing
I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff (I always do) but that's it for the next two weeks.

Have a Merry Christmas.  Remember to include Christ in your holiday celebrations (it's His birthday).

No comments: