Saturday, September 19, 2009

Fall Garden


It's well into September and, since I live in Texas where we have an extended growing season- I'm pulling out the summer plants
(except for my herbs and my peppers, which are finally producing) and laying in some lettuce, carrots and onions.  I believe if I plant them now, I'll be able to harvest this November.  We don't really get snow here and all of those plants are very cold hardy.  We've had so much rain the past two weeks I haven't been able to do any gardening.

Just a reminder to those in the temperate climates- now is the time to plant out your fall garden seeds.

2 comments:

Amy E said...

I live in Texas too! How cool is that? I seem to notice a lot more people homesteading and prepping in Texas, or is it just me?

Jimmy (pen name) said...

Just a follow-up to the lettuce.

I harvested most of it right before a big freeze. Of the 6 or so plants I left, all but one survived the single digit weather (I only put a tarp over them for one of the nights.) They all survived, but the growth is very stunted- better than nothing, but they haven't grown hardly any more than when I did the first harvest.

So, I think it's safe to say that I will keep my lettuce in the ground all winter and just harvest when I want fresh lettuce.