Saturday, August 27, 2011

Cleaning cast iron with Coke?

Okay so you can see from the pic below that my new-to-me stove has a light amount of rust.  I tried some mineral oil on it earlier today- but that didn't see to do the job.  So, I ran across this article that explains that you can use Coke to clean off the rust from your cast iron.  I've used Coke to remove the corrosion off of battery terminals before with great success- so I'm going to attempt to clean up the stove with Diet Dr. Pepper (my wife drinks it- don't ask.)  I'll post results as soon as I can (I think that's a pun).

Here's the article that is inspiring this post:

Have a Rusty Oven?
Though there are many methods for cleaning rusty ovens, the one that we have found to be the easiest to use is a can of Cola. If the inside is rusty pour the Cola in and let it do its job. Depending on how rusty the oven is will depend on how long you will need to leave the Cola on the rusty spot. If you have an issue with the outside of an oven use a sponge to apply the Cola, or place the cast iron in a large bowl or bucket with enough Cola to dissolve the rust (some rotating may be necessary). After rust is removed be sure to wash and re-season you cast iron.


Update: Diet Dr. Pepper does not work!  I think I'll try a real cola.

No comments: