Friday, April 8, 2011

Garden report


I have potatoes, lettuce, corn, green beans, peas, squash, cucumber, onions and peppers growing in my 72 sqft of garden space. I'm planting intensively this year with peas and beans surrounding each stalk of corn. The lettuce came up on its own (surprise!).


I staggered my planting my about 3 weeks with 2 of the beds, so that should extend my harvest time. These are seeds that I got from the link on the column. They are now 1 year old and have been kept in my fridge. I had about 20% not sprout. Not sure it this is average or not, but that's what I experienced. The first year, when they were fresh, they all sprouted. I still have plenty of seeds left and will use them again next year. We'll see how that goes.

What I did was, when I noticed they weren't sprouting, I just stuck another seed in the same spot about a week or so after the first planting and those are doing fine.

My apple trees (all three) got blossoms within a week of each other. I think there was enough overlap that they could pollinate each other, but they are still only 3 years old, so I don't know if I'll get apples this year or not. Texas is still due for another cold snap, but with how crazy the weather has been, I'm hoping that it's already come and gone. (2 weeks ago it got below freezing and my lettuce got frost bite on the tips- everything else seems fine though.)

1 comment:

Tyler Bushman said...

It looks good. I'm jealous. If I showed you pictures of mine, you'd just see dirt...