Friday, May 6, 2011

Response to a reader- How to get started preparing

I got a nice letter in the mail the other day asking for advice on how to get started preparing. This was my response.


Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to you. I've had a busy couple of days.

How to get started... First I highly recommend reading www.survivalblog.com everyday.

Jim Rawles runs the site and he is world-renowned for his writings on survival. I recommend that you read his novel "Patriots" and then get his book "How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It"

While you're waiting for those books to arrive in the mail, read this page: http://www.survivalblog.com/newbies.html

In that article, he recommends making a "list of lists". I made one and have it available for download on my website here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjwuvfnYqzE5dDFMdTZyU2J5ZTM5LWlGQjZLM29MblE&hl=en that should get you started on what you need to buy. It's spreadsheet- be sure to check the tabs at the bottom.

Another recommendation is to start now and make achievable goals. Get enough food storage for 1 week. Then 3 weeks. Then 3 months. Then 6 months... you get the idea. Get enough food to last as long as you think you need. I have 2 years worth and I'm still adding.

Start a vegetable garden, buy and get training with a firearm, learn non-21st century usable skills (First Aid, cooking, fire starting, husbandry, etc.)

Don't get overwhelmed. I know the feeling of needing to prepare and once I started, I felt so much better.

You will probably need to buy a number of things- but remember that preparedness is not about things, it's about skills- but you will likely need tools to exercise those skills.

I have a website where I sell a grain mill. www.year-supply.com You'll need one eventually and when you do, I'd appreciate it if you buy one from me.

My blog (if you start at the beginning) chronicles my preparations. I went from very little to a lot in about 2 years. I now have 2 years + of food storage, a decent sized garden, fruit trees, 10 acres of land, a 4x4 diesel truck, an assortment of guns, radios, skills (CPR and more), a diversified income, and a new network of friends. I sleep better at night knowing I can provide for my family better than I could 2 years ago. I don't say this to brag, but to let you know that you can do a lot in a short period of time.

Let me know if you need anymore help and how you're progressing. Keep in touch.

No comments: